Tuesday, 17 July 2018

Ukhiya, Cox’s Bazaar: A seven-month pregnant woman from Kutupalong makeshift camp was killed in Teknaf-Cox’s Bazaar highway after being run over  by a local bus, while she was crossing the road on March 27,  said a camp inmate.

She was identified as Rabia Begum (35), wife of Anwar of Kutupalong makeshift camp situated near the official Kutupalong camp.

On that day, at around 2 pm, Rabia was going to Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) to get medicine. A local C-line bus hit her, when she was crossing the road. She died on the spot, her husband said.

However, the body was not sent to Cox’s Bazaar government hospital for autopsy as her husband refused. She was buried in a nearby refugee cemetery.

Anawar said, “I don’t know how to care for my children, if I have to go to work for survivable. There is nobody to take care of them.”

Besides, another unregistered refugee boy Anwar Hussain (10), son of Nobi Hussain died in a road accident in Chittagong on March 26. He went to Chittagong with his mother from Kutupalong makeshift camp to see his relative in the Medical College, sources said.