Thursday, 28 May 2020

Kyaukpru, Arakan State:  A dormant volcano erupted in Ramree Township, Arakan State, Burma yesterday night, said a local from Kyaukpru.

The volcano is the second largest in Rameree Township under Kyaukpru district.

The volcano is near the Nanthadaung village, Ramree Township, in Kyaukpru district. It became active with tongues of flame spreading over 50 acres of farmlands and some farmhouses. Some cattle were also killed.

"I have lost my land and my farmhouse where I keep my cattle at night", said U Hla Pay from Po Hla village effected by the volcano.

The last time the volcano erupted was in February 2007.

The media then reported:- "Chinese planners at the National Development and Reform Commission in Beijing, which oversees virtually all matters relating to energy security, must have been alarmed when an "extinct" volcano o­n Burma's Ramree Island became active in the second week of February. The mountain that opened up and spewed gas and ash is just a few kilometers from the tiny port of Kyaukpru o­n the island's northern coast—where the Chinese have ambitions to build a crude oil shipping terminal and where the 900-mile pipeline to China's Yunnan Province will start."

"The volcano, aptly called Dragon Mountain, had been dormant for years before rumbling and spewing in 2004".

"A volcano eruption occurred about half a mile north of Kin village, which is near Kyaukpru town, which threw lava uphill about 500 feet high covering 50 acres of cultivable land. The heat destroyed plants on 150 acres. No lives have been lost," stated The Tribune of India on August 30, 2001.